Resilience

Image courtesy of Ooggetuige

The Seed, discarded by a bird, found niche in rough-hewn brick;

Alone, despised, forsaken, her tears made footing stick

As softened by the salty stream, one root-tip found a home;

Cinder was Seed’s resting place, and mortar her first loam.

Root fought hard to worm her path through nerves of stone-work steel;

Rain’s torrential fists repelled with blows that made her reel.

Wind and sun both joined the feud, assaulting her in turn;

One tried to wrench Root’s tender growth, one sought to levy burn,

But Root resisted, holding fast, and sent up her first Shoot;

Shoot bore Stem, and Stem bore Leaf, in fair green birthday suit.

Mortar lent no healthy fare, so Leaf produced her own;

Photosynthesizing bread, to add green flesh to bone.

Now she boldly clings to brick, when rain makes mortar mud;

She knows that next in line to come is tender flower-bud…

16 comments on “Resilience

1. thoughtofvg says:

nature is the strongest and most resilient thing there is and will never fail to at least have a go at the seemingly impossible. I like this one alot 🙂

2. snowbirdpress says:

I love your poems that reveal just how tenacious life can be. 🙂 ❤

I am reminding myself, so that I have the courage to face days that I cannot face, circumstances that I cannot change, and tasks that I cannot accomplish on my own. And the fact that there are others that need the same reminders helps me to take that next step of courage!

• snowbirdpress says:

Thanks Melody…. I’m attempting to grow old gracefully and so I cling to every encouraging sign I can get. The more we share the love and thanks for this gift of life, the more we hold each other up, I think. Many thanks

That sounds like a lovely plan. Let me know how it goes for you! 🙂

3. Made me sit up, take notice and shut up

I love poetic messages about resilience, Melody!! God bless you. love, Caddo

I loved this photo as soon as I saw it! I have thought long and hard about resilience of late, since it seems that I am called to be resilient on this journey of mine… A difficult task some days! 😦

I know what you mean. I’m wondering if you are surprised, some days, when pain resurfaces. Lately, it seems God continues to offer reminders that I have more healing to do–that I thought was over and done with. I realize all things from Him are for our good, but this has been quite distressing…

You, too? I’ve been broad-sided of late. Again…and now that I think about it, yes – I was naively surprised. Ah, sis. Life can be so very difficult. Lean hard! I often wonder how much one gal can take – and it seems to be much more than I imagined. I am reminded of my post about the ‘labyrinth’ – I walked one and at one point was almost at the beginning – and realized that I will never be back at the beginning. I am always further along than yesterday, and the day before – but the path is not straight. Rather, it is serpentine, and often turns my back to the One at the center, towards whom I run! You are further than you think, Caddo. The path DOES lead to Him – but it is longer and more indirect, and harder than we thought it was…

You and I are truly poet-sisters, Melody! I know you’re right, that I’m further along than I sometimes “feel”–and always-always moving toward Him. I wonder if I might borrow your word, “serpentine”, for a future poem? I do this periodically, and always link back to where I “borrowed the gift”–however, if you’re not comfortable with that, I won’t. You can let me know at your leisure! much love, sis Caddo