Smashed

She’s tried so hard for so long to hold herself together.

But with her hands so full of her own scars and seams,

she couldn’t stave off another blow.

At that last camel-breaking straw,

Resolve greeted Despair on the way down,

and threw Caution to the stormy wind,

an offering of sorts.

She always knew that the cracks would show,

but lied to herself that most needed lenses to see what she hid.

Every illusion is stripped to the bone now,

a skeleton dancing in an open closet.

What she cannot see through her swollen eyelids

is that her smashed pieces

are now ready, assembled in charming disarray for

the Artist to use.

He smiles –

the time has come at last.

He chooses carefully each tiny fragment

and inserts it into His mosaic,

smoothing away each crumbling edge with a practiced hand.

He trembles with anticipation –

this will be His best work yet,

His Masterpiece,

and His work, methodical and gentle,

purposeful and joyful,

radiates His face and lights His eyes

and draws a song to His clear tenor voice.

‘Smashed no longer,’ His notes croon,

‘Watch and see what I can do with these gemstones,

released from their stubborn casings,

glowing with My light and radiating My very Self!’

His smile electrifies the Milky Way as He arranges the parts into the whole.

She cannot hear the Voice – not yet.

She is still reeling from the smashing.

But she will.

She just needs to look up…

14 comments on “Smashed

1. Yes, I was thinking yesterday the days are getting shorter and we are clearly turning summer’s corner.

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness–this is So redemptive, Melody. What a blessing, so beautifully written–may I keep a copy for my personal file, please? It’s one of those “I wish I’d written that”, ones–I can so see the Lord making my “skeleton” and brokenness into a true Masterpiece. You’ve said it perfectly! God bless you dear sister–love, Caddo

3. Glenda Mills says:

I agree with Caddo…so beautifully redemptive. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Thank you, Glenda! Redemption is indeed beautiful – a miracle made the more miraculous for the stubbornness of the human spirit and our insistence at going our own way! 🙂

• Glenda Mills says:

How true! How amazing that God would take a stubborn, self-willed, religious nobody…forgive, clean me up, and call me his daughter…and all because Jesus made it possible. God’s Grace is amazing. So glad I found you my friend!

What lovely spirit is behind your words – I feel your positivity and it gives me courage!

4. Maggie says:

I have nominated you for the Very Inspirational Blogger Award. Tell 7 things about yourself on your blog, then nominate others whose blogs you read. You can grab the image from Google images.

5. This is a beautiful poem. I just love it when you can visualize what is being said here. I read it twice for comfort. Great post (as usual) Melodylowes.