Dying Day

Dying day steals breath from lungs

and leaves a vacuum –

a black hole where vacuoles blindly gasp.

It sets on hopes and dreams

and spirits them into the Underworld,

a black hole where Hope writhes and gnashes teeth.

Heart sinks with it,

pregnant with powerlessness,

a heaviness sensed rather than measured.

But this you know –

you survived another day.

You rose and breathed and battled the demon hordes

and denied them their pound of flesh.

You belong to the Club of those who are rising from the ashes,

scraping themselves off the bottom of the Man’s shoe,

reclaiming fragments of the mirror whose breaking ushered in the past

seven years.

And you know that as sure as that sun is setting,

it will Rise,

Shine,

and usher in a new day.

So you allow lungs to empty,

for in emptying,

they can be filled…

14 comments on “Dying Day

OH MY GOODNESS–way good, Melody, way good. God bless you, dear heart–love, Caddo

You’re up late – can’t sleep?? πŸ™‚

Oh, I don’t hit the hay for another 2 hours–unless I’m depressed. So I’m about to move over to the couch, and see if God has any poems for me to write.

How ’bout you? What time is it there?

After midnight here – I don’t usually stay up this late, but once in a while the brain won’t shut down after a busy day, and while the house is quiet, I can do some pondering or photo editing.

Ah yes–that’s the other thing I envy, just a bit–that you do your own photos. Although I do enjoy “hunting” for them on the web–but I have to be careful about sources–and I’m SO picky!!

You sleep well tonight, ‘hear? God bless you.

It was a day of learning and being blessed – in absolutely unexpected ways. So thank you, I imagine that I WILL sleep well. You too – happy photo hunting! πŸ™‚

2. This such a beautiful poem, and so true, as well. We not only learn to cope, but we also recover. Grow. Stunning photo. πŸ™‚

Thank you, Rigel – yes, you have captured my mood exactly. The day/night cycle has that built into it which speaks to our ability to accept darkness and not let it overcome us, but rather make us stronger and stretch us so that we can contain more light. Thank you for your lovely comment!

• Indeed. πŸ™‚ And you’re welcome. I always enjoy reading and learning from your work.

Very humbling – thank you. I have been challenged and encouraged from a lot of sources in the on-line writing community – this is a great place to try out new ideas, among people who read voraciously and write themselves! I see that your forte is very unique – good luck with your writing!!

3. very powerful writing, Melody. The ending was beautiful and I was captured in the middle by these lines “You belong to the Club of those who are rising from the ashes,scraping themselves off the bottom of the Man’s shoe,reclaiming fragments of the mirror whose breaking ushered in the past
    seven years.”…..filled with such acute images, feeling and experiences of the heart and soul that sadly, but truly, ones can relate to; the words simply strike with force. Poetic Excellence!

Wow – thank you so much, Linda – your words are a powerful encouragement! Life comes with strings attached – the trick is to learn to snip the ones one should, and untangle the others! We need a lot of wisdom to do this task well – and must forgive ourselves when, in practising, we fail…

4. I love the morning and the prospect of a new dawn and a new day. A new start. How on earth do you manage to write so much and take so many photos? !!

It comes fairly easily to me – it doesn’t take too long. I take photos daily and edit in batches. I’m afraid that when I get back to teaching this fall, my fountain will run grow sluggish… 😦