Unbend

corntassels2

Stiff with cold,

he’s grown deaf –

he no longer hears

the cries of others;

attuned to his inner demons,

he turns his back

on the masses,

the empty bellies and

outstretched hands.

Pain

blocks all sound.

If he will

open his heart,

allow

calloused ears to hear

that still, small voice,

he may just heed the call

and unbend.

22 comments on “Unbend

1. Gallivanta says:

Let’s hope so. Makes me think of the discovery of Richard the Third and the skeletal evidence of his very crooked spine.

Excellent, Melody–pain, inner demons, have a way of making us quite deaf and hardening our hearts. But hopefully (thankfully, in my case), in the awful silence–one day we hear our very names whispered in His holy voice. Glory to God.

Thanks Uta! πŸ™‚

• Ivani says:

I don’t think I agree with all of this. I feel pretty good at 61! And we orsbeved an 82 year old young lady dancing her feet off Friday night at the Italian American Club. She put everyone to shame! It’s all a state of mind .But I appreciate your humorous look at all of us Happy writing!

Actually, I wasn’t thinking about aging at all on this one – I was thinking more of the ways in which we get stuck in old thought patterns that can turn us inward as bitterness comes to call. So glad to hear about your ‘young’ dancer at the club – long live feeling young at heart! πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for your thoughts on this issue…

3. Just lovely…may it be so.

4. Thanks for composing β€œUnbend « Meanwhile, Melody Muses.
    ..”. I personallymight undoubtedly be back again for alot more reading and commenting here
    in the near future. With thanks, Frederick

Thank you for this precious reminder to not just focus on what is causing me pain . .but on my Pain Reliever!
    God bless you!

6. Melody, you’ve mixed melancholy and hope nicely together in this poem. As long as we’re still breathing it is not too late to unbend.

Blessings ~ Wendy

7. I had to read this poem several times to grasp all the truth being spoken in this poem. Brillant as well as convicting.

I’m sure we all have times when this is true in one area or other in our lives – I must say I am certainly not immune! And although it is tough to look in the eye, it is eventually very freeing and refreshing to let go of some of our hang-ups, admit our shortcomings, and unbend a little! Bless you as you apply truth to your day-to-day life!